When creating a website, it’s important to think about the layout of each page. Start with your home page and work from there.
The Home Page
For each page, it’s a great idea to make a rough sketch of how you want it to look. This video has some awesome tips on creating an organized and eye-catching home page.
One tip from the video is to divide the home page into sections so that when you scroll down, you get a different section each time. Making the home page scrollable is a great choice when designing a website.
It’s also a good idea to include engaging media on your home page. You want your visitors to feel like they can interact with the site instead of just seeing a page with one or two things that aren’t very important.
When creating landing pages, or individual pages with different content, it’s a better idea to categorize them under one tab in your main menu. This video shows how to add pages to a website on Weebly.
In the video, the person explains how to create a drop down menu under one tab. This is a great idea to show different pages for different categories of work. For example, if someone wanted to show different charity work they have done in the past, they could make a separate page for each charity organization.
It’s much more clean and organized to have separate pages for different topics.
5 Tips for Organizing Your Website
- Make your home page enticing, but don’t use Flash. Flash can be distracting to the viewer, and good websites don’t need all those bells and whistles to entice their viewers.
- Put a footer at the bottom of the page. This is where you’ll provide links to your contact information, your about page, social media, and more.
- Make separate pages for different content. Categorize and use drop down menus to make navigation simple.
- Make sure to provide at least a Home, Contact, and About page. Those are the three most common pages and provide important information to viewers.
- Your home page should appeal to your target audience. Use features that will entice that audience.
I found this article helpful. It explains ways to organize pages and create a website that will bring in more viewers.